View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
b16crx

76 C-10 2wd short bed LS swap questions

Hey Guys! I have been searching on the form/ internet and I have more questions than when i started...lol
I have searched a lot but since photo bucket did their thing many pictures are missing which makes some parts harder to understand. Plus it seems like there are a bunch of different ways to accomplish this.

So here is the deal, i recently totaled my 01 Corvette daily driver (no I wasn't going fast, just a real bad day) So In 2011 I bought this 76 C-10 for $200. In the time I owned it i swapped the 350 trans for a 700r4 and kept the original drive shaft. I plan on making this my new Daily, so i bought a 06 5.3 from a 1500 Chevy Pickup with a 4165e. I got all accessories, wiring, ECU, and drive by wire pedal.

So the goal is to do this swap as fast as possible since it is a daily driver. I'm trying to get all the parts i need before I start ripping it apart.

Here is where all the questions come in.

1. Motor mounts- If i understand correctly I can use the adapter plates from Holley (or other companies) that set the engine/ trans in the stock location. this should allow me to use the stock drive shaft, but does not allow for the AC to be run in the lower location.
If i use Dirty Dingo sliders, the engine can be moved forward allowing for lower AC location, but not use the stock drive shaft.
Is all that correct?

2. If I don't want to cut the cross member or customize mounts (I don't have a welder or welding skills) then I need to relocate the AC up top to the passenger side. Holley makes an adapter bracket but I was told I need to by the bracket and a spacer together I was looking at $250 for that setup. Is there any other alternatives?

3. wiring- i know I can modify the harness myself, but I may decide to have it "reworked" for time savings. If I do this it looks like they clean it up quite a bit and add relays for electric fans and what not. looks like the $300 to $350 range is what I should expect for this. the problem is companies like Speartech are not offering reworking at the moment and some of the older posts I have read have dead links, any recommendations for someone reliable?

Also I was thinking about removing all wiring from the truck and replacing with American auto wire or similar kit. do any of these companies sell a harness all ready setup for the LS swap? or would I still have to tie the truck into the harness that came with the new engine?
I also plan on Dakota Digital gauges to make everything easy in this part.

4. Fuel- I have dual tanks now which I kind of wanted to keep, but it sounds like it is a safer/ cheaper to use a 87 tank /straps/ sending unit should bolt between the frame rails and run new fuel lines, use a 99 Corvette fuel filter and 91 corvette fuel pump. the question is where does the fuel filler neck go? does it just connect to one of the existing fuel fillers? or does it have to be relocated?

Here is what it looked like when i bought it.

And here it is with new wheels and tires.

Attached Images

Last edited by b16crx; 10-11-2017 at 09:44 PM.
b16crx is offline   Reply With Quote