View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
Barbecue

Re: Emissions delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mv7fd View Post
I know this is a big no no and some people might get upset but I am wanting to know what all I have to do to delete my emissions on my 79 k20 with a 350. I can't find a thermal or ported vacuum switch and my egr is trash so what all can I delete and how do i do it while still keeping the stock intake and carb
I just removed most of my emissions gear a few weeks ago on my '86 Silverado - not sure if it would be identical to yours, but here's what I've done thus far (apologize for lack of pics):

EGR: unbolted the EGR, which can be a pain as the bolts are slightly under the EGR itself. After the EGR was removed, I cleaned the intake manifold mating surface, and fabricated a 1/2" metal plate the same shape/dimensions as the EGR base plate (used the EGR gaskets as a template). Once I had made the delete plate, I bolted it back to where the EGR was originally mounted, using the original EGR gaskets.

Air pump: ripped that stuff out. Getting the pump itself off in addition to the piping (particularly the driver's side) took some time, but got it off in an afternoon. After removing all of the air pump stuff, I was left with two port holes in the exhaust manifolds. I used the threaded end fittings of the air pump's piping as the plugs, then welded in the centre with a mig welder. I was sure to incorporate the end 3/4" of the pipe itself, which fits inside of the fitting, as the end of the pipe is what actually seals the fitting into the exhaust manifolds.

Carb/HEI distributor: I'm not exactly sure how integrated the quad/distributor are into the emissions stuff, but on mine, they are somewhat electronically controlled. I'm having a local expert rebuilt a plane quad and HEI distributor for my application which should eliminate many of the vacuum lines involved in emissions control.

Gasoline vapour canister: I'm leaving this in. Has no effect on performance and I don't want my truck stinking like gas.

BBQ
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote