View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #320
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

That next morning we hit a little gas station off of I-15, fill up the tanks, tires and ice. Based on the time of day we were getting on the highway we'd be passing through Las Vegas right around lunchtime. Those of us from Colorado know we could hit an In-N-Out burger joint that we don't normally have access too back home so I offer to plug it into the GPS and lead the way there.

In no less than 10 minutes on the highway after leaving the gas station Ian and I see our lifes flash before us when a maniac stripper cuts us off in a 7 series BMW and rolls the car next to us.

The aftermath.

Basically, what happened was this gal was hauling ass. We had all spread out on the highway. Larry watched her weave from the far left lane to the far right lane and back to the left when she got past him. She cut off a Semi pretty close in that run. At this point Ian and I are cresting the hill on a curve in the middle lane when the Bimmer pulls up on my left side at a very high rate of speed to my truck going 70 mph. Just as she gets up to my front fender something happens. The BMW makes a HARD right turn in front of us. I'm sure I'm going to drill this thing square in the doors. I let off the throttle and slowly start appling the brakes, trying not to make any sudden movements and flip. Strangely the Bimmer is carrying so much momentum it continues to travel to our right in a slide and ends up hitting the rock wall on the shoulder of the road with the trunk. It is at that point the car is launched into the air and flips onto it's roof, sliding and spinning back towards us again. I make a move for the left shoulder and park.

We stop at the same time of the BMW was and both of us jump out of the truck to see if the driver is OK. She was belted in and stuck upside down in the car, unable to release the belt. She's screaming for help and the roof is far to smashed down for me or anybody else to get to her. I was able to hand her my pocket knife and she cuts herself out and we pull her through the side window. She was in pain but we couldn't see any major injuries besides some cuts and a possible broken arm.

Cutting the story short, the CSP shows up and takes over. We figure the chinese 22" tires on the blingy wheels failed in the right rear position causing the cars reaction right next to us. The best way to describe what happened is it looked like I pulled the perfect cop PIT manuver and she spun into the wall.

The scene cleared we boogie to Vegas in silence as we were still in shock. We had our burgers and got out of the zoo of Lost Wages and pulled into Mesquite NV for a fuel stop and resupply.

After a few misguided turns looking for our way, we finally get the right road and cross the state line back into AZ just a few minutes out of town.

Some of the view.

We quickly gain elevation and loose the heat down on the valley floor.

The Campsite was epic, soft red sand and secluded within a ring of rock outcroppings. It was awesome.

We made our way down to the Grand Canyon area.

After miles and miles of more washbord roads we got to the north rim at at Toroweep. If you want to see the Grand Canyon and do it without the crowds of the south rim, this is the way to see it.

We snuck into the campground and everybody set up quickly.

Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote