View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #61
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Re: Crewsin in my 63 GMC Crew Cab

As I said, I wasn't saying anything about anyone specific. I don't know Tony and haven't seen his work.
I was only saying what I tell anyone who comes to me for work. Get informed on your project as best you can and get different bids.
If you are in Hawaii and the truck is stateside you have a marked disadvantage.
These trucks have inherent weaknesses.. bottom rear fenders rust, cab corners and rockers, etc.. You can take precautions to minimize and eliminate much but the bottom line is maintenance and care after the truck is done.
My suggestion of getting structural and chassis done and finishing up the rest yourself was because of your budget. 20K won't finish that truck. The motor (V6) will be a quarter of that budget at least, if you do it correctly. Parts for that old beast (the V6) are expensive. Of course you could go the Chevy V8 route but thats not what the truck came with so it isn't a restoration at that point.
I understand why someone wouldn't want to butcher a donor too. GMC trucks are getting rare and chopping one up is something I wouldn't do either.
I have several Chevy cabs and parts for donor sheet metal. I love your build, wish I had one too.. (the crew cab) Cap Fab and Jon are right.. it takes time to do structural rework especially on a rare bird like you have.. I only caution people because of what I have seen in the 3+ decades of building cars and trucks.. Sounds like Tony has a good rep.. that is a good starting point for a build.. Good luck

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote