Old 06-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #10
theastronaut

Re: '51 GMC Restomod Finished!

Thanks for the comments!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
I'm so jealous, that looks amazing!
What color brown in the dash?
The dash was painted ~20 years ago and was still in good shape when I started the refresh. I did have brown paint matched for the wheel, column, and A/C panel but it was custom mixed to match the existing paint so I didn't get a code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
That is a great truck! What are the wheel and tire specs? I've got the same suspension setup planned and am about at the point of ordering wheels.
Thanks!
They're Wheel Vintiques smoothies, 16x7 and 16x8 with 4" backspacing on both. The tires are 215/70-16 front and 235/70-16 rear. Standard baby moon caps with GMC decals we had made to look similar to the original caps. I did have to use a 5/16" spacer in the rear to clear the bed side, and I made adjustable fender braces in the rear to push the fender out for a bit more clearance on the outside. It has fiberglass fenders; steel fenders may have a thinner lip around the wheel opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post

really beautiful! I really like the Cibie style euro lenses

those are con2r gauges right? I thought about calling them to see if I could get a plug in set for the 03 donor I have right now.
The Cibie's are great; they look pretty much like a sealed beam but out-perform many modern lights. Those are Con2R gauges, we picked them since they fit the style of the build really well. The mounting tabs needed a bit of trimming to make them fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
Pretty cool.

Are you saying you shrunk the diameter of the steering wheel? got any info or pics of that process?
Yes, I found a 15" wheel on eBay, cut the rim off, and grafted it to the original steering wheel spokes.

Here's a post with more info on that.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...12&postcount=7
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote