View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 10:18 PM   #4
68blackbird

Re: Painting tips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
remember to mask off everything you don't want overspray on. it gets everywhere, not just what is visible. if you are proud of the frame detailing then best mask it off. take wheels off etc and the unit will be lower to the ground for painter's access, but not so low you can't get the underside edges of things properly. encase everything you don't want to spend time buffing later. really, that's why lots of guys paint stuff totally separate so it is just a single part or group of parts getting painted bare. some like that way, some don't. reasons on both sides of that argument.
on the doors and cab, it's a balancing act of labor time spent and supplies for masking OR spend time removing stuff for paint separately and then arrange to have help to install later. personally I like to paint the whole interior including the insides of the doors and jambs. insides of the fenders, under the hood etc. leave it for a bit to cure, then assemble the fenders and hood to the body. then mask it all off and paint the cab with the doors, fenders, hood etc on. that way the paint all looks the same. especially with metallic paint. I have done the paint both ways and found sometimes the paint looks different if the parts are done each separately. maybe I wasn't shaking the paint cup enough to keep the metallic stuff suspended. dunno. just know it happens.
good luck
nice colour
make sure the doors fit and you are satisfied with the gaps etc, then drill a small hole in the door to hinge area so when you assemble it the parts will line up in the drill holes. use a line up pin the size of the bit, like 1/8 or something. done that before and it works. gotta touch up that little hole after though.

Understand the masking, been there...

I am going with a darkish Gunmetal grey metallic, so, I agree, painting at same time would be preferred. My 1st project, '68 Firebird, I did hood/trunk, then rest afterwards. It was a solid red color and the parts still didn't match. Love the drill bit tip for the doors, never heard of that, just what I was looking for, many thanks! Kel