View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 11:38 PM   #22
indymachinist

Re: 68 shortbed stepside stripper truck build

Well some small updates....

I got the carb rebuilt and got the truck running. I drove it around maybe 2 miles and got some smiles out of it. The shift linkage is out of whack though so it likes to get stuck in 1st gear. Have not fixed that issue yet.

I got a full dark gray 40-20-40 seat set out of a 2000 Silverado that will be going in to the truck. That will take care of several things all at once. It starts the process of getting rid of blue interior, getting rid of uncomfortable bench seat, and adding shoulder harness seat belts.

Recently while I was on Gatlinburg TN I got a new drivers rear step fender without the spare tire cutout in it. Dave's Truck Parts out if Claremont, NC was set up in the swap meet area and making deals. I wanted to get a cowl hood also but had no way if getting it home.

I have been collecting brake parts to do my own custom 4 wheel disc setup on the truck. So far I have gathered late model truck/suv calipers and rotors for the front and the back. As I finalize this setup I will share details with the forum, but it will likely be hard to replicate without machine shop access. My goal is the calipers, rotors, and pads will all be standard issue parts available off the shelf at a normal parts store.

Today I ordered a set of satin black 17" Soft 8 wheels that I will need to clear the new big brakes. I intend to run a set of gray late model truck center caps on them. I think it should look decent. I also ordered a set of CPP modular front 2" drop spindles and the Hotchkis 2" front 6" rear drop spring set. I know the suspension will require more parts than that but aside from probably using all Moog steering parts I will likely fabricate almost all of the rest myself.

That's where this thing stands right now.

Drivetrain plans are pretty well firmed up at this point also. 5.3 LS engine with single turbo, 4l80e trans with paddle shift, truck 12 bolt refreshed with new limited slip diff and forged axles, traction control using late model wheel speed sensors, and e85 fuel with a flex fuel sensor to keep an eye on the % and transition between e85 and straight gas as needed.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build

Last edited by indymachinist; 09-23-2015 at 11:48 PM.
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote