View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
aprilg57

Re: 1968 C10 6 cyl to V-8 conversion

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I was able to answer my own question as regards the pivot bracket on the engine side. I looked at my GMC mentioned in my opening message. It has a bracket mounted to the 2 engine bolt holes with the pivot about an inch and a 1/2 forward of the rear bolt. So from you all told me, I should have changed out the motor stands, the rear crossmember (which appears to be rivited in) and bought or fabricated a bracket to mount a pivot onto the engine. Since I didn't this information when I started the project, here's what I ended up with: I took out the 6 cyl. I installed the V-8 using the 6 cylinder motor stands. I bought a pivot from LMC truck that screws into the block. I installed that in the front hole. The Z bar lined up perfectly. I changed the LH exhaust manifold from the 68 to an earlier manifold that exits straight down. I used a new Y pipe that I had left over from an earlier project. The only issue left to address is the alternator mount (a piece of cake). I end up with a single exhaust with 2" pipe so I lose a little power (not an issue for me). About to be on the road!!
aprilg57 is offline   Reply With Quote