View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #408
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Kim and I raided Pull-a-Part the other day. It was her first time to the automotive Promised land and I think she was an even bigger kid than I normally am when I am there.

We found six Dodge poverty caps that will, or should, work for my plan, three apiece in two slightly different styles. One fits very neatly into the 1957 Chevy hubcap, the other bottoms out with about 3/8" exposed. I think they will still work, depending on how deep the Chevy center cap sits in the Dodge wheel.

Yesterday I built a prototype to trial fit the assembly. I don't have any of the Chevy bowtie air cleaner nuts yet, but it still works with a standard nut for now.

I discovered a slight hiccup while mounting the wheel. The bulge style lug nuts I have tend to pull past the holes in the Dodge center cap, rather than hold them in place. For the trial fit, I held the Dodge center to the wheel with two 1/2" washers under the lug nuts. This morning, I picked up some machine shims that should retain the Dodge center caps and still allow the lug nuts to seat.

-Joe
Attached Images