View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #415
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

A few weeks ago, I installed the new aluminum radiator, though I did not install my fan yet, or hook up the transmission cooler lines. This week, I took care of both.

The fan I am using is from a 1995 Ford Taurus 3.8L V6 wagon, which is the two speed fan the Jeep rock crawler guys like to run. It has a shroud build in and covers most of the radiator. On the low speed side, it flows 2,000 cfm and you can feel the air being pulled through the front of the radiator. The high speed side is rated at over 4,000 cfm, which will be more than enough to keep things cool even with the A/C on, stuck in traffic somewhere. The fan is run through solenoids with the high side linked to the A/C compressor, though I think I may run an override switch, just in case.

I ended up making some mounting brackets out of aluminum, no fancy welding, just a bolt together, but it is solid.

Once I got the fan mounted, I disconnected the Cummins oil to water cooler I had been using from my transmission and hooked my plumbing to the built-in transmission cooler in my new radiator, backed up with auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator. In the future, I will need to tidy up some of the cooler line plumbing, but it works right now and is leak free.

-Joe
Attached Images