View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #11
Davidf

Re: Fuel issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
Turns out...his "new" pump was bad right out of the box
I call that a BOOB...Bad Out Of Box.

I think others have said this, but start at the carb and check for fuel pressure. Disconnect line at carb inlet, place in suitable container and crank engine. If good fuel flow, then it is a carb issue. If no fuel flow or very weak, start working backwards. On my '72 240z, I purchased two fuel pumps in a row that did not work. Did your son install the pump correctly (meaning cam follower is pressing properly on pump lever arm). Could there be a cracked or split hose on the suction side of the pump? If so, the pump will suck air and not fuel...but you should get some fuel.

Last week, I had to rebuild the LP side of the fuel system on my CC boat with a PCM GT-40 (ford FI) engine. It was confounding because the LP pump was running, but no fuel to the HP Fuel Cell Canister. I went ahead a replaced all the fuel components on the LP side of the equation including: fuel pump relays, in-tank pick-up tube (to eliminate vacuum leak), and LP pump. I suspect it was the LP pump (even though it was running on key on priming cycle).

Good luck.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote