Thread: Fuel issue
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #23
REDROCKER652002

Re: Fuel issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Yeah, that happens with kids. I worked as a mechanic many years ago, and some guy had his kid's car towed to our shop, saying to give it a tune up. One of the other mechanics put all the parts on, and then it still wouldn't start. He left me a note, for when I came in the next day. I checked it out. Spark, no fuel. The thing got towed because of no fuel. I put $2 worth of gas in it and got it started, and called the customer to come get their car. When I told the kid that it was out of gas, he got all chesty and accused me of trying to rip him off- "I put $2 in it a couple of days ago!". I laughed, and told him that 1 gallon of gas isn't a rip-off, and that he ought to pay more attention to his gas gauge. His dad wasn't happy, either!

I can't fault the other guy for just changing the parts in this case, because it wasn't running and he was told to do a tune-up by the customer. By that time, I had learned my lesson (with a customer that said "replace the carburetor", which, of course turned out not to be the problem) and relied on my own diagnoses after that.

As much as I wanted to do that, I wanted him to do it and figure it out. He did ask me to help, and that is when I got involved. Once I told him it was out of gas, he just bowed his head and said "****" under his breath. I knew he felt bad enough as it was, so I just told him that he hasn't made a mistake yet that his old man, or his grandfather for that matter, have not made at least once. So, we learn and we move on. LOL. He, like me, has a habit of getting himself into stuff and then not knowing exactly how to get out of it. But, he is learning.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote