View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #81
made2drag

Re: Calling all 700R4 Experts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister.freeze View Post
No actual changes. Still no 4th gear.
While I agree, proper geometry is ideal, this has worked FOR YEARS as is. I'm trying to find out A) what causes a loss of just 4th gear and B) if it's something I can live with given my driving habits or do I need to start investing in a new transmission?
Might anybody know if there's an Allison that is a direct replacement for the 700R4?
Ok, I know this is an old post and you recently got 4th back.

Things to check:

Have someone hold your gas pedal down all the way to the floor (not running) and feel how tight the TV cable is. If it's like almost as tight as a guitar string, it should be good.

While driving watch your speed around 50-55 and see if you see any rpm drops and if not, move from OD to D....do this like 10 times and you may see it shift. If it starts working it will probably keep working like mine did. Also, make sure your fluid is showing at the top of the operation mark on the dipstick, if it's even a hair lower than the crosshatching it may not ever shift into 4th. Check it after 30 mins of driving to make sure you get a good solid reading and if you add some, drive another 10 mins and check again.

A th350 low on fluid will not drive at all, a 700r4 will drive fine in 1,2,3.

Also, mine still wasn't shifting to 4th even with it hot after a 30 mins drive and showing on the full mark, until I did the OD to D shifts back and forth. I drove like 10 mins shifting it back and forth and it finally felt a shift.

I have 3.08 gears and a 26" tire and mine shifts at 17, 30 and 52 MPH.

Another rabbit to run is to make sure your dipstick is a stock 700r4 dipstick. I had a aftermarket dipstick in my last truck that gave me false readings for full. Not sure why people stick those Lokar dipsticks in....Junk.
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote