View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 12:51 AM   #104
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: 67-72 Chevy Truck fuel gauge diagnostics 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancialonnie View Post
This is a great write up however I am having a slightly different problem. I know my sender works as it is new and tested. My fuel gauge just moves erratically, it goes from being correct to way past full for a few minutes then back to correct and it may stay there or it may go down to empty then back to past full to correct again. There is no rhyme or reason to this, it just moves all over the place. is it a bad ground? Where should I ground the gauge to make sure I have a good ground?
If you want to add a ground, you can use the center lower terminal on the fuel gauge itself. Do you have any issues with any other gauges/lights? Also check the ground screws on the circuit board, one by the fuel gauge and one by the speedo. The cluster gets its ground through the connector and through the circuit board. very common burn spot on the circuit board is near the connector plug in. Make sure the circuit board does not have any burn spots and the grounds are tight. Also if the cluster tins have been painted, it can cause a ground issue between the fuel gauge tin and the main tin.

Check all the 5/16 nuts on the back and make sure all are tight. It sounds like a loose ground or bad connection to me.

Share what you find here please.

Thank you,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C