View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
Navy_chief

Re: Vintage air in the 73-87 trucks questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
If you plan on keeping your truck for many years I think Vintage Air's new setup would be preferable, assuming that it is all electric (no vacuum and cables as they say). I have had two squares with factory A/Cs and even though they do put out a lot of cold air and work OK, I was never happy with the performance or quality of the controls. If you read all of the posts about various A/C control problems on this forum you will know that these problems are not uncommon. The number of valves/actuators/cables, switches, etc. on the stock A/C setup is very antiquated, and I don't think you can even buy a whole new A/C heater control assembly any more. I have replaced most of those do-dads over the years.
If the Vintage A/C electronic setup is around $1,000- $1300K for the whole shebang, then I think that would be a reasonable price. Beyond that, I would fight with the stock setup, assuming that you already had all of the parts or could get the stock parts cheaply.
When I called Vintage air they stated thier new system will be out in a couple of weeks I will be buying it and installing it in the Desert Fox. I dont really feel like trying to track down all the stuff I need to put the truck back together with the stock A/C plus out here in Oklahoma it gets pretty damn hot in the summer time currently 105 now where I live and then we get that dang 30 below with windchill storms in the winter so I want something more modern and more efficent.
Navy_chief is offline   Reply With Quote