View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
88Jimmy4x4

Re: Vintage air in the 73-87 trucks questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
The kit for the 81?-86 models is out. It came out this week. The cost is $1335 plus shipping. The one for the 73-80? will be out in maybe a couple of weeks.

It is all electronic. It completely gets rid of the original dash controls (the older systems used dash controls for a non-air truck...). All functions are on electronic slide controls. There are no cables or vacuum lines. Even the fan speed is variable rather than having 3 or 4 speeds.

My truck was the first to have the new Gen IV system installed. My '86 C10 was the initial one used to adapt the Gen IV to the squarebody trucks. I have had it back for two weeks now.

Over all, I like the new system. The Sanden compressor uses noticeably less horsepower. It also cools better than my old setup that had been converted to R134A. It cools the truck down very quickly. My only real disappointment with it is that the vent temperature will not go below 45 degrees.

I did not do the install, but I have a set of the directions. It appears to be pretty straightforward. The only specialized tools required for the installation are the ones for vacuuming it down and filling it, but you need those to do any a/c work.

The directions for all of their kits are available on the Vintage Air website under the "downloads" section. The last I heard, the directions for my system are not available yet, but should be very soon. Take a look at them when they come out, and that will give you a good idea of what to expect for the install. In the mean time, take a look at the directions for the Gen IV for the '67-'72 to get a rough idea of what it will be like.

Coolair from this board works for Vintage Air, and is an excellent resource for info on their systems. He knows them inside and out.

Slonaker
Thanks for the update, I am really looking forward to converting my 76 to vintage air kit.

Who did the install for you in SA?
88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote