View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #19
el_fantasma

Re: Gas smell in cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhOneWS6 View Post
A gas cap that does not seal correctly will allow gas to slosh out of the filler neck. When I was driving my truck daily I had to put a new cap on it every couple of years to prevent this. Combination of TX heat and cheap gas caps would cause them not to last I guess.
I had the common problem of gas odor when driving with window down and fuel spilling out the tank and down the side of my truck. I bought a new gas cap from LMC for $7 and issue was solved - no more smell. I don't understand this EEC stuff and there was no mention of it on the LMC site. The gas cap looks like it has no vent unless it's that tiny hole in the center so I assume that the gas tank is vented somewhere else. I have a 1972 and I assume the original tank. After driving about 5 miles I removed the cap without any suction so I think I'm OK. I guess if the venting mechanism got clogged my engine would just die, right? Final question, the old cap was locking and this new one is not. Do we really need a locking gas cap, are people stealing gas or putting stuff into your tank as a prank?
Attached Images