View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
1972BlueC20

Re: Fuel tank behind the seat?

I'm debating this very thing myself right now. I don't really have a problem with the gas tank behind the seat but I do smell gas sometimes. I have a new seal that goes around the filler neck to install but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm hoping that will solve the gas smell I get occasionally, but it only happens after filling up and taking hard right turns.

My reasons for wanting to possibly move the tank to under the bed are as follows :

1) Safety (worried if I get smacked hard enough or flip the truck it could be a big problem)

2) gas smell

3) would free up room behind the seat for speakers

I would need to figure out how to rig something to make it look like I still have the cab mounted tank. By that I mean if I remove the tank behind the seat, it would leave a hole in the cab where the tank filler sticks out.

Your options there are to either fill the hole in and repaint, or I've seen people cut the filler neck off and rig it so its still there but there isn't a tank there. So from the outside it looks normal.

Also as for putting the tank under the bed, you either have the filler coming up through the wood or metal bed near the tailgate, or through the side of the bed.....i've also heard of people rigging something where the filler is behind the side marker in the rear and it flips open and is spring loaded.

I saw recently too someone used a late 1960's camaro tank and the filler was behind a flip down license plate.

Many options and potential hurdles to overcome when doing this change.

Hope this gives you some ideas and helps you begin to make a decision!

Good luck!