View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 04:38 AM   #1
Psyekl

Chevy P20 Step Van-King Project

I'm new to the forum (see my post in the "welcome" thread) and after only one day of poking about I managed to identify my step van with fair confidence: VIN # PS328F------

P - Forward Control (cab over)
S - In-Line 6 Cylinder Gasoline Engine
3 - 1-Ton
2 - Chassis/cowl/bus
8 - Model year 1968
F - Assembly plant: Flint (I assume Michigan, not Texas)

Darned handy forum! My step van has a V8 in it, obviously it isn't unrealistic to think that it had an engine swap. I was told it was a 350 though I haven't verified it yet (I am aware that the P20 came with 2 available V8s in 1968).

I'm planning a rat-rod RV project and I plan to tow a small trailer. I need to upgrade the suspension and brakes, steering, engine and transmission. I have experience in a metal fabrication shop and have assisted in building a couple of race cars among several other interesting projects. I'm lucky enough to have a friend who is a fabricator, access to a metal shop as well my own wood shop and garage.

What I do need help with is the knowledge of people with more expertise with old Chevys and Chevy step vans than I have: I do not have a lot of experience with older vehicles and I certainly do not have any experience with industrial cargo vehicles. My searches have not turned up much to tell me what I need to know about where I can find parts for upgrading or what vehicles have parts that are interchangeable to use for upgrades. I can always pull entire suspension systems off of something modern in a junkyard and fabricate it on, but I'm not looking to do that much work and would rather just try to stay as simple as possible.
Attached Images

Psyekl is offline   Reply With Quote