View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #22
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Re: 1986 K10 shorty revival

It wasnt hard-make sure you use fabric scissors though-they have a serraded edge that makes cutting easier. The inserts themselves are only glued at the edges on the backside of the plastic and the back of the insert is a foam type material so after careful trimming, and several dry testfits, I used 3M headliner adhesive spray on the backing, waited about 5 minutes to get tacky, then applied the trimmed Suburban insert over the pickup backing-it fastened in place right away-pay extra attention to trimming at the top corners at the door handle trim cover-if you trim too much of the corner away and you run the risk of the corners fraying out over time and you'll have to redo it again.

The hardest part was waiting until I had a suitable doorpanel before even starting-I got lucky though and after dyeing one LH door panel, I found another one in a K5 that was dirty but no rot and had all of it's grain on the top still! My previous panel was worn smooth and I won't buy LMC replacement door panels-they're junk imo.

I should mention too that I cut my own door panel insulation trim sections too to be glued on the backsides of the panels for a quieter interior and it helps seal the cabin better. I also reinstall a foam seal along the bottom of the door panels on the back in the groove that held an OEM sealing strip-I just replicate what GM did only I use better materials-stuff like that you don't find in catalogs. I'll post pics of those once I finish them-I have the lower sealing strips on but have yet to glue the panel insulation in place just yet-I'm on the hunt for a clean LH door and fender-again, I only use GM stuff so I'm willing to wait for the right parts...heck I bet I have enough blue interior pieces to build 2 more interiors after redoing my Suburban and now this truck....! lol
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote