View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #25
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Re: 1986 K10 shorty revival

There was another thing that annoyed me while refinishing the inside of the firewall-in particular the firewall pad. I had to remove pretty much everything and rebuild the entire underdash climate control case because previous owner was a complete nimrod trying to replace the heater core which he failed to do so it leaked over time and saturated the original padding-there are hinges for the blend doors which have rods that need to be pulled so that the two halves can be taken apart-well, previous owner didnt do that-result? broken hinge attachment at theblend door so it won't open....and the threaded rod was loose because the plastic snap in bushing that secures it was cracked-not to mention all the sealing foam strips were worn away to nothing. After pulling three complete junkyard units out I was able to restore one good, complete one.

Anyway, when it came time to order the firewall pad, I seen a company called Brothers also sells truck parts similar to LMC so I took a chance and ordered what appears to be their only option for 81-87 pickups. The pre-cut holes didn't align very well with the firewall for one and some were omitted altogther! I had to cut my own holes for the cruise control hose/wiring, as well as the wiring for the dual tanks which exit out almost in the middle below the windshield on the firewall. Even the precut opening they provide for the steering column was not right-I had to trim that also.

Out of everything I've done on this truck so far, the firewall padding was the biggest PITA!
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote