View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #36
Brad54

Re: Pictures of 1960-66 campers please

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post
I suppose the grandfather of our "trucks with campers" would be John Steinbecks' Rocinante - his '60 GMC with a special camper he custom ordered. He used the trip and observations fort his books "Travels with Charly" It was the first book I read of his and to this day my favorite.

His truck and camper were restored and put in the museum. If you have not read the book, do so as it is very good.

http://www.pauahtun.org/Misc/Rocinante.html
I read Travels With Charley years ago on a back packing trip... I don't know if it sparked my wanderlust, or just unleashed it, but I've taken every opportunity to drive all over this country, and I think of Able Baker Charlie Dog every time!
I've often wondered what kind of truck he had... I didn't remember if it was ever mentioned in the book, and I was in college at the time and not into '60-'66 trucks... though I have OFTEN thought a GMC would have been right, or an International Harvester.

I've got a '61 Suburban that I drive everywhere, and have frequently camped out of it for deer hunting and car shows, and again remember Travels when I do it. (The Suburban has been in 20 states in 60,000 miles since I bought it 7 years ago this fall)

Thanks for posting these pics--you made my day!

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote