View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #85
70'

Re: Anyone ever had luck getting summit to honor a warrantee for a bad crate engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
I just got my truck back from the gm dealer, they're trying to tell me that my plug wires are to long and the truck won't ever time correctly, that this engine will never run right with a quadrajet, even though Summit and GM recomend it. They say it absolutely has to be a holly! Then they told me it could be the RTV I used on the front and rear of the intake, that it should never be used anywhere on an intake even though there's no leak. They say there is nothing wrong other than that. They then charged me $100. I have tried the exact quad GM and summit say will work with no luck, I know the plug wires are fine, they are a little long but there's no way it will take anymore time for electricity to travel the extra four inches of plug wire on three cylinders, there are no vacuum leaks. Anyone ever have trouble using a quad on one of these engines? Issues with silicone on the intake? Long plug wires preventing timing? Then they told me my carb leaks, that there is gas puddling all over my intake, I looked and the only wet spot was right next to the oil fill on the valve cover that I didn't get cleaned up when I spilled a cap full of oil. My intake is dry, you can tell no gas leaked anywhere, they just assumed the 1/2 teaspoon of oil was gasoline.
Anyway they couldn't figure anything out. When I brought up that summit recomends a quadrajet the guy just shrugged, When I mentioned people have been using RTV for the intake for decades he shrugged again. I was a little mad about all this but my toungue because I have a car I bought from them that may need service someday, now that I'm home I doubt I'll take even my car there again. I understand these engines are simple, that there's only so much that can go wrong but it sounded like they were just making excuses. The best part was when they offered to install a new carb and the "correct" plug wires for a mere $1245, how generous!
If you know that's not the issue then let them do it, they won't be able to charge you if it doesn't fix the problem right? Then they will have to acknowledge that it's something else and keep loooking
70' is offline   Reply With Quote