View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 10:46 PM   #35
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Question for the purists

My truck retains the original engine and trans, alternator (!) and power steering. Yeah, that alternator looks like it has never been apart. My father in law made all kinds of changes to it, mostly for the better (trans cooler, overflow tank, etc.). But lots of other changes should just be considered personal preference, like the aftermarket AM/FM Cassette player. He added all kinds of gadgets like a tach, altimeter, ambient temperature gauges, compass, etc.

I converted it to front disc brakes after inheriting it, having driven it in the past with a towed camper in the rain. It has a new camper shell as of last February. Mostly, I like it to look original. But some technologies are going to supersede what came from the factory. I won't apologize for that. I'm not selling, so I don't care. When my wife and I are dead and gone, one of our sons (of 3) is interested in having it. The other two couldn't care less about "an old truck". He's the one who helped me rebuild the front end when we put in the disc brakes. I needed someone to stand on the lower A-arms while pulling 170 Ft-Lbs of torque.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote