View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 07:33 AM   #9
hatzie

Re: Feedback on LED Bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by layinrocker65 View Post
Does an electronic flasher not Fix that issue?
Sure does. Fixes the trailer/no-trailer issues as well. I've heard em called electronic or fixed speed relays. You can get drop-in units from your friendly neighborhood Borg retailers like Pep Boys, AutoZone, O'Rileys etc.

Wish it was that easy with the Gen 7 & 8 Impala and the 2014 Toyota Tundra pickups with the obnoxious BCM controlled flashers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68longhorn View Post
Superbrightleds.com is the best source. Also check squared away customs on Facebook
No need to buy Chinese LED lamps online. That time has come and thankfully gone.

Phillips and Sylvania could see where the winds of change were blowing and have actually put some engineering time into retrofit bulbs. Most cheap retrofit LED bulbs don't properly use the filament bulb reflector so you end up with a bright point source that doesn't reach out very far and the cheaply built bulbs don't have a decent heatsink so they don't last long. The Phillips and Sylvania offerings properly use the reflector and have decent heatsinks. This means the name brand bulbs will last longer than most Chinese bulbs and they don't cost that much more. The other big plus is you can buy the name brand LED bulbs at your local Borg retailers like Pep Boys, AutoZone, O'Rileys etc.

Look for Phillips VISION or Sylvania ZEVO.

Sylvania Zevo and Phillips Vision LED replacements for the 1156 single filament tungsten and 1157 dual filament Tungsten bulbs actually fire the light back at an angle into the reflector bowl to properly fill the light housing and project for other drivers to see you. They also have a decent size heat sink so they won't burn out in a year or two like tungsten filament bulbs and cheaply built LED bulbs.

The Sylvania ZEVO 2357 & 1157 bulbs are available in RED (1157) and AMBER (1157A). I have the AMBER versions in the front marker/turn housings on my trucks and the RED versions in the tail lamps. I have yet to see Phillips Vision 1157 series bulbs in AMBER 1157A replacement but I doubt it will take long for them to catch up.

I use the Phillips Vision Bright White 1156 bulbs in my Squarebody cab floor "courtesy" lamps and backup lamps. Phillips makes RED 1156 Vision LED bulbs so look at the package to be sure it says BRIGHT WHITE before you drop it in your shopping cart.

I use the Phillips Vision 921 LED bulbs for late model backup lamps that used the 921 tungsten bulbs. These fire the light into the reflector bowl as well. I have yet to see a Sylvania equivalent but I'm sure it's in the works. I can actually see behind my trucks, my Polaris Sportsman, and my Gen7 & Gen8 Impalas at night. They light the entire lens of the backup lamp with BRIGHT WHITE light to properly warn other drivers and project the light back against the dark. I installed the Phillips Vision 921 bulbs in my 74 year old parents Toyota Tundra pickups backup lamps as well.

I used the Phillips Vision 194 LED bulbs as 194 and 168 side marker bulb replacements Phillips claims they replace 194, 168, 12961, 158, 161, 193, and 579 bulbs. These are just LED bulbs with a frosted diffuser to spread out the light.

Phillips also makes a Festoon bulb to replace the interior cab light but mine is still the old fashioned Tungsten.

As with everything else the Asians have started to mimic the Zevo and Vision LED bulb designs... probably with the normal extreme drop in quality.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote