View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
BIG BLOCK JIMMY

Re: Thoughts on Eastwood Rust Encapsulator

I'm glad someone asked this! I have been angry for three years now over that stuff. I thought I had researched my heart out and found that to be the best product to use to combat corrosion.
I ordered a gallon of it and on three hot summer days I removed the bed on my truck, pressure cleaned, scraped, wire brushed and repeated these steps over and over until all metal on the frame was grease and coating free.... and dry.
I thoroughly enjoyed painting every thing as the metal seemed to love it and soaked it up. I must have put five coats on everything and even used there spray for internal parts I couldn't get a brush on.
I was a very happy boy as my truck looked better than new and I thought I had protected it. A few short months later I had to work in WV for the winter and of course they LOVE the "salt"! They can't fix a pothole, but they will dump that crap on the roads by the billion tons per minute. Even though I thought my truck was laughing the evil off, I still went to the car wash several times a week (hand wash, not drive through).
To my HORROR, before winter was even over, I could clearly see RUST all over my frame. I called Eastwoods and they apologized and sent me a free gallon of the same crap to make up for it........ that gallon was never opened and never will be and my frame looks like hell.
That was the long story of don't waste your time or money on there insanely expensive garbage. Clean whatever you want to make black and use just what you said, "a rattle can of flat black Rustoleum". OR check out the POR products OR get everything LineX'd.
Once I get the JIMMY 100% for a temporary daily driver I'm taking my truck to have the frame and entire truck LineX'd!
Sorry, I had to vent!