View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #31
DKN

Re: C4 Dropmember and Trailing Arm Conversion Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I'm curious about one concern.... The 67-72's have the drive shaft loop extended higher (above the top plane of the frame rail) for clearance. The CPP 73-87 conversion piece has the c.member loop flipped & it's on the bottom. The top portion of the c.member does not extend beyond the frame rail.

I know on my 68 w/the stock TA c.member, the d.shaft was pretty close @ the top (~8" drop). My 74 has the top of the axle tube within 1" of the bottom plane of the frame rail so it looks to be several inches lower than Wild83C10's truck.

I'm wondering what kind of clearance there will be @ my ride height?
What ride height is the CPP 'kit' meant to be set at (2/4 drop; 4/6 drop, etc...)?
When we made the conversion kit we had a short bed truck. The rear axle will bottom out into the C-notch at the same time the bed floor will bottom out into the differential. The crossmember mounts up high against the floor of the cab. The dive shaft loop hangs down off the bottom of the crossmember but is still higher than the bottom of the frame rails under the cab. The frame is not straight; it is very low under the cab, then rises up to the bottom of the bed. The reason the crossmember doesn’t work on a long bed is because the new location for the crossmember will be much higher, and will need to mount on a level section of frame instead of the section of frame that is angled from under the cab to the bottom of the bed. The cross member is shaped like a Z rather than a C. If we make a crossmember for the long bed I expect that it will have a larger lower loop for the drive shaft. The loop will still be higher than the cab section of frame. I expect that all of the other parts of the kit will be the same, only the crossmember is a problem for the long bed trucks.

Danny Nix
CPP
DKN is offline   Reply With Quote