View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Jemo

Re: GM wiring puzzle in Mini Cooper

There are so many versions of the Mini wiring diagrams that it's hard to determine what does what but I've figured out most of the column wiring. There are 3 wires that go from the column to the wiper motor. There is ONE wire for left turn, ONE wire for right turn, Headlight brights, Headlight main, and horn. There is one remaining wire and I think/hope it is the wire that brings power to the column. Not sure though and not sure how to determine if that's the case except to remove the steering wheel and check which wires go to the turn signal switch.

Turn signals: I'm going to splice together from the GM column harness the front and rear left and front and rear right and split those and join them to the two turn signal wires in the Mini column harness and the hazard switch. For the stop switch wire (white) going to the column, I'm going to wire my taillights separate from the brake lights and run this wire to the back. Disconnect yellow and green wires and run these to the defined turn lights. Then connect the brake/turn filament together and run separate wire to the white stop light wire going to the column. Correct?

Wipers: don't concern me right now. Maybe future project.

The Mini horn wire out of the column, I'm just going to connect it to the black GM horn wire.

Dimmers: There is a wire for brights and main beam coming into the column from the Mini harness. The separate headlight switch has 3 positions: OFF, driving lights, and headlights. It also has 3 pins: main/brights, driving lights, and unfused live. "Headlight Power" from the GM harness goes to unfused live. This kind of makes sense because headlights are always powered. Driving lights would go to the brown wire in the GM harness for running lights? The "Main/Brights" switch maybe goes to the Mini "Main Beam" wire that goes to the column? But then what does the Brights wire coming out of the Mini column go to?

My last switch is hazards. The hazard switch has 6 pins. 4 clustered in a square and two sitting by themselves at the bottom of the switch. I read the following: "Hazards have a +12V wire powered all the time, the other end of the plug powered with ignition ON. With switch OFF, should be continuity across the 2 bottom pins. These carry current to the turn signal switch. The Four upper pins are for: +12V from hazard flasher, left signal, right signal, and light switch illumination.

From the Mini diagram, the single wires for left and right turn signal are split. Left and right signal go to the hazard switch and left and right signal go to the turn signal switch. I guess when the hazard switch is turned off, all current is sent toward the turn signal switch and when turned on, it forces everything to flash.