View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: GM wiring puzzle in Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemo View Post
Right, I don't see a horn relay on the diagram either.

About the dome light, yeh I don't believe you can turn them on through the headlight switch like a GM. It just has an OFF/ON/DOOR switch on the actual light from what I remember. The dome light is #26. 36 = Brake Failure Light Test Switch which is one of the rocker switches next to the headlight, hazard, and fog light switch. I think it monitors brake fluid levels since it had a single reservoir MC.

The LG/BR wire coming off the hazard switch winds its way over to the indicator lights?!

Does the fact that the Mini used a headlight relay mean that I should add one because it will be too much for the switch?
It won't kill the switch but it lets more voltage get to the headlights and they will be brighter.

About the wiper switch, can you explain more? 45 just above it is the Heater Switch! It's also on the same panel as the rocker switches (headlight, hazard, etc) and it looks kind of like an old choke cable. I guess you pulled it in or out to turn on. Weird, isn't it!

Remember when I said that the GM wiper switch switched the ground side of the circuit instead of the positive like most switches? well it looks like the power side goes to the switch on the MIni, and it switches that to the wiper motor speeds. On the GM trucks the wiper switch has to be grounded to the dash to complete the circuit to ground for the wiper motor speeds. The Mini don't show the wiper switch connected to ground.

About the turn signals though, since they are separate from the brake lights, do you now think that splicing front and rear together will not cause me to have front and rear brake lights?

Did I see it wrong or doesn't the Mini have a whole different set of lights for the brakes. If it does you can just wire those together and join them to the white wire off the brake switch. Anyway you slice it, if you wire the front turns to the rears and the rears are activated by the brake light switch, the front's are going to come on too. On the GMs the turns and brakes use the same wires and filaments in the turning and tail light bulbs. They had to come up with a way to cut out the left brake when the left turn was on and the same for the right otherwise the guy behind you would never see the light flashing for the turn. He'd just see two solid lights. To cut out the brake light on the turning side GM came up with a different set of switch pins in the turn signal switch that powers just the turn signal wire and cuts out the brake light power.
The fronts have two filaments in each bulb but they don't use the turn signal filament for the brake lights so they just run two wires to each bulb. A light blue and dark blue wire for the turns and a violet color for the parking filaments.

Last night I ordered a new hazard and headlight switch. I also ordered the plug that goes into the back. I had to order it from England so it will probably take a week to 10 days to get here.

I'll test continuity at the switches as you said but I honestly haven't done that before. I found a video on youtube - doesn't seem too complicated because I do have a voltmeter. I guess I'll figure it out.
I have every confidence that you will.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote