View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 11:50 AM   #13
shifty
Questionable

Re: HOWTO: Great electric fan setup!

This shroud is manufactured to fit the factory/stock radiator. While I'm sure it would work well, it wouldn't have the really kickass fitment on an aluminum radiator like it has on a stock radiator.

Let me jump on a soapbox for a second about aluminum radiators, because I think they are misunderstood and highly overrated: If you are not doing a buildup over 400-500 horsepower, and aluminum radiator is totally unnecessary, and in the case of a 4-row aluminum radiator, complete overkill IMO. Aluminum radiators only give ~10-15% more cooling per core. A 3-core brass/copper radiator cools nearly as well as a 2-core aluminum, a 4-core brass/copper cools nearly as well as a 3-core aluminum.

There is a forum member from DFW, Texas, that was running an LS1 in his truck @ 435HP with a stock 3-core copper/brass in the Texas heat, beating the hell out of it, and never overheated. The factory radiators in these trucks are great!

As for the question about where to find these for newer model trucks ... I am not sure. I would contact Wes @ ClassicHeartbeat.com and ask him, and also contact Les or Paul at GMCPauls.com

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 12-02-2006 at 11:51 AM.