View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
PortHeadlight

Another headliner installation - FINALLY

Finally got it together. I picked up in Bow, New Hampshire from Kal-Lite. They don't make headliners, they make Fiberglas Reinforced Plastic. Went there because they offer several choices of color and pattern, and I wanted to see what they looked like in real life. FRP is the same material used in other headliner install threads. You can get it at big box stores - only in limited colors and patterns. Went with the Hexpin pattern in gray because it was exactly what I wanted when I saw it, but they offer many choices. I used the .060 FRP because .090 thickness of the Kal-Lite product was simply too rigid and less flexible.

http://www.kal-lite.com/frp-products/frp-colors.html

Used my own pattern from old headliner and cut to fit using 32 teeth / inch blade in saber saw. Other threads describe the process of "cutting to fit" and making adjustments, and that's what I followed. Also two pairs of hands often needed. Measure twice, cut once. Actually, measured like 10 times and cut slightly big, then trimmed to fit. HA!

Was lucky to have plastic bows BUT they were very brittle and already cracked. Tried superglue. No joy. A couple missing edges but aint perfect, but it's up and not coming down soon. Did warm up with heat gun and that helped...BUT when somebody starts making these will definitely get a set.

And added a rear dome light by splicing into the front dome light wire and installing a front bracket I got from a member and the dome light kit from one of our vendors.
Attached Images

PortHeadlight is offline   Reply With Quote