View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 66 k10 4x4 disc brake/power steering conversion

Yes switching the complete front axle would be the easiest. As already mentioned, you'll just have to match the gear ratio to your rear axle. You can use any year steering box from '69-'87 4x4. The 2wd boxes are the same, it's the sector shaft that is different between the 2wd and the 4wd. It will be easiest if you get the pump from the same vehicle. And yes in about 1981 GM switched to metric threads with an O-ring on the PS hoses. So it's just easier to keep the same style of fittings on both the box and the pump. When you need the adapter plate for the steering box, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66_k10_manny View Post
I have a 66 k10 4x4 - Love it!!
But. . .I'd like to install disc brakes in the front and while I'm at it get some power steering.
Is there anyone that has done this conversion?
I've already gotten some tips from other sources. . .I've been told that I have to swap out the front axle with a '73 to '87 chevy. And that my power steering gear box has to come from pre 1980 chevy because after that year they switched to metric threads.
Does any chevy lover out there have any additional info that might help my project go as smoothly as possible?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 05-01-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote