View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #68
McMurphy

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57truckguy View Post
Ok not ot beat a dead horse but you will need a pitman puller to get the arm off the gear box. Almost never comes off without it. I borrow mine from the local autozone or O'rileys which ever I'm at at the time... Still think you should consider the 70's Surbanna upgrade... just saying... I would have went that way if I'ld have know about it when I did my front end... I'm not unhappy with what I've got... but it sure would have been cheaper.. I've got a 89 Dodge Dakota front end under mine.. Using the 4 cilinder springs and all stock OEM parts.. drives like dream. much better than the axle it came with.. 12 inch disk brakes, rack and pinion stering, power stering, choice of drop spindles, and all OEM parts for repairs. I'll get off my soap box now and leave with my pride. LOL
LOL no worries about dead horse beating with me, too many people I work with dont just beat it, but then drag the carcass around for days!!

Today I am calling off Craigslist to look at a couple of possible donor rigs.
in order of choice:
1. 79 Chevy truck, no details provided other than it is for sale and has to get out of the yard, and the price is very right for me.
2. 85 GMC good looking and running truck, would almost hate to part it out, but the price is almost right for the amount of parts I would get off it.
3. 80 GMC the price again is almost right, but no engine or alot of other parts I would want/need. But I am going to take a look at it anyways for the brake system.
4. 75 Monte Carlo... has the right engine, and probably all the right brake stuff, just want to be lazy and unbolt/bolt on the front cross member ect...the price is in the ball park to play with, but I would hate to part out such a good looking car (though up here I doubt there are many low riders and would be hard to sell off the shell when I am done)
5. 83 El Camino, same as the Monte Carlo, but the guy wants an absurd amount for it for no title...

I read where someone did the part by part, piece by piece brake up grades and said if they had it all to do again he would have just gotten a donor and did the whole assembly swap. (and it may have been your thread too 57truckguy, I will go look here in a minute) So that is what I ~think~ I want to do .... I would just have to beg my neighbors to use there side of the garage for a week to do it. When it is -30* outside you get limited to what you are willing and can do outside.....

Otherwise this weekend I decided to service my torpedo heater, and was going good until I accidentally broke my hot surface ignition for it. You would figure that up here in the land of 9 month winters there would be every part of every heater ever made just falling off shelves... but no.
Thank goodness for Amazon.com
I got about half of my heater box tore down, cleaned and primered after the heater debacle, but did not want to suffer in the 40* garage yesterday to finish it up.
I will call this my bye-week and have another cup of

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote