View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Camber, caster, toe-in, toe-out ???

If that is the tire that has been running on the front for a while it looks like the truck has too much positive camber.

Look at the outside edge as compared to the inside edge and it looks like the weight of the truck has been riding on that outside edge rather than the whole tread of the tire. It looks like the outside edge is rounded off while the inside edge still has a defined edge/corner on it.

Excessive toe in or out usually causes the tire to look and feel like it has been drug sideways down the road and the tread will have a feathered appearance and feel to it if you rub your fingers across it sideways back and forth.

I won't say it can't happen but I have never seen caster even if it is excessive to cause tire wear. Usually if the caster isn't right the rig doesn't want to track right going down the road and if it is excessive steering can be harder than normal or in extreme cases you get a bit of tire flop but I've only seen that on dragsters.

As far as correcting the camber, after you have the truck back together with the front axle pieces all rebuilt/replaced and in top shape you will have to take it to a shop that is setup to adjust the axle. That is usually a shop that specializes in big trucks and rv's anymore as the tires shops with the fancy computer alignment machines usually aren't set up to do it. It involves bending the axle by chaining it to the alignment rack and using a jack in the right spot. I wouldn't put a bunch of paint or powder coating on it before i took it to the alignment shop though as it would most likely get scratched up. With that it may be put it together, have it corrected, take it apart and paint it and put it back together. That is if you want to paint or powdercoat it up real nice. If you spray bomb it then just spray bomb it after they get done again.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote