View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 11:40 AM   #49
joedoh

Re: S10 Frame Swap on 47-53 - Would you do it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Guys I have a question about this even though I don't have a dog in the hunt. Why not just graft the modern parts to a beefed up stock frame or build a new one?

cost. its always cost.

Quote:
Pretty much everything I read about the S10 frame involved the owner reworking it so why not move it over? I am really trying to understand the thought here.
you havent even read this thread if that is your takeaway. making a new frame is discussed, 19k. upgrading with a MII is discussed, ~2k (all in, sure you can lie and say you can get it cheaper but once you add steering and spindles and springs and brakes, at least 2k, and thats laying on the floor 2k, not installed yet).

if you are talking about adding an s10 clip to a stock frame, countless guys have done that with camaro clips. do a search for camaro clip and see what you think.

Quote:
Also leafs are not exactly old tech. Ford super duties had them in the front into the 2000s and rode fine. Handling doesn't seem to be an issue either.

rode "fine" for a super duty. handled "fine" for a super duty. a purpose built hauling truck. this is the same argument as when people say using box tubing 2 link rear suspensions are ok because NASCAR truck series uses them (no they dont), or that 60-72 chevy trucks use them (not even remotely the same). super duty ford leaf springs have hundreds of hours of engineering hours in them, and thousands of hours of road tests; to say that your 70 year old truck will have the same characteristics is shortsighted.

Quote:
On edit. The OP asked if people would do it again which means they are open to other avenues.

as he said responding to brian he was looking for opinions from guys who have done it. not opinions on what else is out there from people who havent.

I hope you finish your truck some day brian.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 06-14-2020 at 11:47 AM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote