View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 11:53 AM   #50
MARTINSR

Re: S10 Frame Swap on 47-53 - Would you do it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
cost. its always cost.

you havent even read this thread if that is your takeaway. making a new frame is discussed, 19k. upgrading with a MII is discussed, ~2k (all in, sure you can lie and say you can get it cheaper but once you add steering and spindles and springs and brakes, at least 2k, and thats laying on the floor 2k, not installed yet).

if you are talking about adding an s10 clip to a stock frame, countless guys have done that with camaro clips. do a search for camaro clip and see what you think.

rode "fine" for a super duty. handled "fine" for a super duty. a purpose built hauling truck. this is the same argument as when people say using box tubing 2 link rear suspensions are ok because NASCAR truck series uses them (no they dont), or that 60-72 chevy trucks use them (not even remotely the same). super duty ford leaf springs have hundreds of hours of engineering hours in them, and thousands of hours of road tests; to say that your 70 year old truck will have the same characteristics is shortsighted.

as he said responding to brians nonsensical "look at me" ranting, he was looking for opinions from guys who have done it. not opinions on what else is out there from people who havent.

I actually had this same argument with brian two years ago in 29tudors thread, this time I just thought I would let him burn himself out because doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is defined as crazy. I hope you finish your truck some day brian.
You really think it's a "look at me?" In my first post I make it clear that I am simply saying "what are YOUR expectations" to the person thinking about doing the swap that has became a "Must" apparently. I don't talk about me until someone says something personal that is against everything I said.

I have had guys PM me thanking me for talking them out of the "swap." I have had guys say they agreed, not that I changed their mind but they had done it before I said anything, that they looked at it more and were very happy they went in another direction.

All I am saying is to think about it, what is best for everyone is different. I have said the same thing about getting married and had a guy thank me very much that he broke up with his fiance! That blew me away!

I have NEVER said doing this swap is wrong, never said anyone is stupid for doing it, or they are "ruining" an old truck I simply say to look at it deeply as it's a BIG change and a BIG project and make sure it's right for you, that is all I say!

Geez, I wasn't going to comment again and here I go.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote