Thread: EFI or CARB
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #17
rfmaster

Re: EFI or CARB

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb85 View Post
Coming from a guy who owns and tunes both:

If you're going to keep it relatively stock and/or plan all of the engine modifications at one time, then I'd go EFI. If you're going for a little more wild combo and/or plan to add modifications to the motor slowly over time as budget allows, then I'd go carb. Obviously carb will be significantly less costly.

Every single change you make to an EFI motor requires changes in the tune. If you've got the software/knowledge to do this yourself then it's no big deal, but many people do not. Almost everybody can change jets in a carb and twist a distributor.

There's new "self tuning" EFI solutions on the market now, although I have no direct experience with those so I can't do more than speculate.......I do have extensive late-model EFI experience, and a simple MAF based system with wideband o2 feedback *should* work just fine without much user input on mild-ish motors. But you gotta pay to play!
MAF = Mass Air Flow
You mean MAP (Speed density) used on in early EFI systems. MAF sensors can temperamental and GM had hard time keeping early TPI cars running well. They ditched MAF sensor and switched to MAP (in F-Body) until MAF sensor technology matured to be robust enough.

A stock BBC TB, with dynamic fuel pressure modification (VAFPR) and optimized ECM (EBL) tuning can provide enough air flow (about 640 CFM) and fuel (a pair of 80 or 90 lb-Hr injectors at 20+ PSI) to support up to about 360 to 370 HP. The problem with most stock BBC is that these engines were choked with tiny cams, puny heads and restricted exhaust systems from the factory.

Like previous posters have stated - there is a learning curve associated with EFI tuning. But there is also a real world performance win since ECM tuning allows greater flexibility under a wide range of conditions. Also, camshaft and head selection is critical and careful consideration to an engine - drive line combination should be given before starting this project.

It all depends what you plan do with your rig.....

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote