View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #59
pritch

Re: Post your best budget mods! ($50 or less)

This would be for the Panel and 'Burb guys, but here is an easy map/dome light.

Now for full disclosure, this part is off a F*rd (Pritch ducking rocks and flaming arrows)

I had a '88 F-150, but I'm sure this part would be under five bucks at any junkyard.

For some reason, there is a threaded hole just above the rear-view mirror on Panels and 'Burb's

I ran a wire up the pillar (high degree of difficulty, BTW) and it lays in the space above the windshield and roof-(another Panel/Burb thing)

I then drilled a hole in the light assy. and screwed it to the hole. This ruined the dome light section of the light assy, but with a little more finesse and smaller-headed screw, the dome light could be retained. Of course, this would require running a second wire.

The light assy. don't match the curves quite exactly, so I made a gasket out of a .89 cent mouse pad:

It works very well and looks pretty good too, IMHO.

Another thing I do-not a specific mod, but a cheap tool that works well. Whenever I need to hone something or clean up the inside of a small bore, like a master or wheel cylinder, or any number of things, I get a piece of steel wool and a drill bit several sizes smaller than the bore. I use a cordless drill for this, because they seem easier to control than corded drills, but I let the steel wool wind up on the drill bit, and then use that as a hone. It works very well.

Another thing I sometimes do, and I know I'll get flamed for it, but when I can't afford to have my valves properly ground, I will stick the valve in the hole, then chuck it up into a (this time corded) drill and put some valve lapping compound on the seat area and spin that valve as fast as it will go while pulling up on the drill, like trying to pull the valve through the head. You need to be careful not to get any compound up into the valve guide area, but I've done this many times and again, it works very well.
Ol' Green

Last edited by pritch; 05-29-2011 at 12:00 AM.