View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #13
BFD305

Re: 1965 Short Bed Fleetside - L31, EFI - Daily Driver Soon

Been a while. Lots of work, but too much $$$$

We pulled the bed and got it in the garage.
Swapped out the rear suspension and notched the frame. Used CPP parts.

Pulled the 383 and 350 turbo trans. Truck ran great, but my commute is 50 miles so I wanted an OD transmission.

Swapped in an L31 5.7 with a 4L60E transmission. I got the engine out of a van I picked up at the city auction. It was a rollover so figured it was running then. We took the engine, trans, harness with fuse block, computer.

Reused the trans crossmember with little modification.

Added O2 bungs to the headers that were already in the truck.

Used a smaller trans cooler out of a silverado.

Used the stock radiator from the truck.

I sent the computer out to LTswap.com to get it reprogrammed. Wired in the harness for the engine. Cleaned up the harness as much as we could for now

Installed a rear tank with the in tank EFI pump. My plan was to do this on the cheap with a tank out of a blazer, but ended up going with the CPP setup. It was a bit pricey, but installed great. We ran hard lines from the engine to the pump with about 6 inches of rubber FI line at the tank.

Picked up a drive shaft from a suburban and had it shortened and balanced. I had planned to shorten the one I had, but is was the old type with a rubber isolator between 2 sections and they wouldn't shorten it.

Starts right up and idles great. Even starts up good with freezing temps.

Swapped in a tilt column with column shifter. Went with the ebay special.

Used CaptainFab mounting plate and a steering box for an 86 c10.

Using the Steering pump from a 97 suburban with the pressure line from an 86 C10 (version 1). I could have used the pump from the van, but I didn't want to deal with the remote reservoir.

Using the alternator from the van. I am not using the A/C at this time so I bought the AC delete kit and now I can use the belt from the van.

Still need to get the power steering lines hooked up, wiring cleaned up and the computer mounted and figure out my air intake.

Getting closer.
BFD305 is offline   Reply With Quote