View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #99
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

A big surprise...

Well, last night I was able to get the rear lights working for the very first time...sort of. As some on here know, I have been trying to figure out why the rear lights do not work on this truck for some time now. I was going to take the truck to an electrical mechanic, but some very wise members on here advised me to take another look at the issue, and I did so. I ended up removing the fuses from the fuse box and examining them that way rather than visually, and testing them while they were still installed. It was here that I found that there was hidden rust on some of the fuses where they were clamped into place by those metal contact clips. The clips had some hidden rust too. So one by one I removed each one, Dremel tooled them, and their corresponding contacts, and replaced them. The gauge lights started working again (they had stopped a few weeks ago) and the following happened:
I turned on the light switch and tried the hazard switch. The rear lights came on steady, and the gauge illumination lights blinked.
I tried the left blinker with the headlights on and the left front blinker worked, as did the left rear one.
The weird dash light blinking issue stopped as suddenly as it started, so I have no idea on that one yet.
So the rear lights came on ONLY when I first tried the hazards (no blinking) but technically still do not light when the headlight switch is pulled.
Just today I went to a salvage yard and returned with the budd wheels I need for a complete set, and scored a better GMC lighting harness. More updates to follow as I work through this strange electrical flux.

PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009

Last edited by HIGHWAY BY THE SEA; 04-21-2019 at 08:08 PM.
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote