Thread: 79 350 overhaul
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #39
MikeB

Re: 79 350 overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
Since it's a small cam and stock valve springs I don't think break in will be a problem. I never used any type of break in oil when installing camshafts. I figured the paste that came with the cam was good enough.
For stock cams and valve springs, I use the moly paste on the lobes and lifter faces, of course, along with CompCams #159 break-in additive. Then run the engine between 1500 and 2000 RPM for 20-30 minutes to mate the lifters to the cam. (Continually varying the RPM lets the crank and rods slosh oil on different parts of the cam.)

After that, change the oil and you should be good to go. I have used regular 10W-30 oil with stock cams, and even mild performance cams and valve springs (with slower old school ramps like Summit Racing cams). But you can get a little more insurance with Valvoline Racing 10W-30 which has higher amounts of zinc and phosphate than most regular oils.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...EaAiBiEALw_wcB
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote