Thread: 79 350 overhaul
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 02:06 PM   #44
MikeB

Re: 79 350 overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
I remove the hose and socket through which I was turning the oil pump and realize that for the oil to get to the right bank it has to go around a groove in the distributor housing.

Can anybody identify what the two types of gaskets are used for?
Turn the crank 90 degrees and then spin the oil pump again. Repeat both steps until oil comes up all the push rod holes. This may take a long time and can burn up anything less than a stout 1/2"drill. If you don't get oil to all push rods on one side, you could have blockage in the oil gallery that feeds the lifters on that side, but that's unlikely.

As you noticed, the rear bearing is grooved 360 degrees. Hopefully you didn't partially cover the journal holes when by installing the cam bearing too far forward or rearward. That's something I always check with a paper clip before installing cam and rear plug.

The 4 shiny gaskets are to partially block the heat riser passages. Not sure why the holes are the same size in both pairs.

The single gasket may be for an EGR valve. (??)
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote