View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 04:44 AM   #7
83GMCK2500

Re: 1996 GMC K3500 DRW, Extended Cab, Flatbed, 454, NV-4500

Update:

- Steering wheel audio controls installed, after some *cough* minor troubleshooting they work great. Sooooo handy. Also, so much nicer to use a puller on steering wheel as opposed to brute force. After removing three (or four) by hand, I'm done with that crap.

- I've noticed that at low speeds if I need to stab the brakes (pedestrian/grandma/idiot/etc) the steering wheel pulls left. It brakes evenly from higher speeds. This weekend I started in the front and dug in. Wheels off, first observation: driver's side has uneven pad wear, ~ 1/8" difference in-out. Passenger side, also uneven, call it 3/16" in-out, noticeably more than other side, but not a great deal. Started on the DS, pried the caliper over a bit to compress the piston, pulled the pins, pried caliper off. Got a good look at the rotor, noticeable ridge on both in-out faces at edge, slight waviness when running fingers from inside diameter out. Pulled the pads off, they're a mid-grade semi metallic pad, other than uneven thickness they looked good, not worn unevenly by themselves and no cracks. Bolted the caliper back up, won't slide. Not even a little. Hmmmmmmmm. Was able to free up one of the slides, took a wire brush and a file to the faces of the bracket ears and the caliper edges and cleaned them up, but one slide remains seized. Fought it for quite a while, didn't have a c-clamp or anything to use as a press, unfortunately. Don't know how something can get so stuck in a rubber sleeve. Cleaned things up the best I could and lubed what was accessible. Onto the passenger side. Repeated same procedure, findings: rotor has a much heavier ridge on the outer radius, also, noticeably more distortion on the faces when running fingers from inside diameter out. Again, other than uneven thickness, pads were ok. Felt the sleeves on this side and they actually moved, stiffly, but they moved. Bolted the unloaded caliper up and even with mobile sleeves it drug hard. After much filing and brushing between bracket ears and caliper it slid decently. Lubed what I could and reassembled. Thinking on heading home to Dad's shop this next weekend and pressing that other sleeve out and cleaning it.

Summary brake observations: calipers, rotors, knuckle, bearing flanges, etc all have healthy level of rust/scale/grime on them. Given the environment this truck has been in I assume these parts have not been changed for quite some time. Given how much material is left on the pads +/- 5/16"-3/8" (relatively fresh) I assume the last brake job was to throw a set of pads on. I doubt the rotors were turned. The passenger side caliper had newer sleeves than the one I was able to remove from the driver's side. All of the slides that I was able to hold in my hands look to have been overtightened, the ends were slightly mushroomed. Never made it to the rear brakes, was raining and after messing with front and rotating all 6 tires/wheels I was soaked.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96

Last edited by 83GMCK2500; 02-25-2014 at 04:57 AM.
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote