View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
BMERDOC

Re: 65 Alignment - 83 K-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortbox View Post
I would ask the shop you take it to for the alignment but I would think that you would want it aligned to the 83 specs. I would think that you would be able to get more caster out of the 83 K-Member. Radial tires - especially wide ones like a lot more caster than the skinny biased tires that came on our trucks new. I haven't seen anything on this site about more caster for radial tires but there's a lot of talk about it on some of the GM car sites.
Correct! 83 specs for those reasons. Most shops won't spend a bunch of time on a custom alignment so hopefully they will do as much as you request.
Here is my last alignment sheet. Notice that the camber spec is -.15 to .45. Ask that it be set negative, Preferably -.50 to -1.0 if you can. It will not wear tires and will handle a lot better. The caster spec is 2.0 to 3.0. You'd want to get as close to 3.0 as possible or even more. Factory performance cars can have 6,7 or even 8* positive caster. By increasing positive caster "return to center" (when you let go of the steering wheel doing a u turn and it spins back to center) is improved and high speed stability (highway and interstate and not just Bonneville ) is also improved. The toe setting can be set to stock spec but should be set at the average, refer to my spec sheet...08 to .15 the difference is .07, half of that is .35 so final toe setting should be .11 or .12. Ther rear thrust angle should be as close to zero as possible. Mine is .33 but I still have the stock bushings in the trailing arms. When they are replaced the angle should be a lot closer to zero. Thrust angle is important because it can cause the truck to "dog track" and the front toe is affected by it. Its kinda the backbone of a good alignment.
Im only using my sheet as an example but I'm sure '73-'87 isn't too far off.
Attached Images

2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote