View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: Better fuel mileage from 87 305 TBI?

Gentelmen. This may be a case where more=less. I have an 84 K20 with a 350M engine fed by a quadrajet carb and rear axel ratio of 3.08. Trans is a 4 speed "rock crusher" Tires are 235-85R 16. Most of the time vehicle is empty (7100 LBS) but I do pull a 8 X 16 utility trailer sometimes. I admit I am a light footed driver and run 60 to 65 on the interstate. When I'm empty I get between 17 & 18 MPG. When I pull the trailer (7000 LBS GVW) my mileage drops 13 to 14 MPG. Total combination weight loaded is 15,600 LBS. The 305 doesen't have much torque so it's working harder and using more fuel as a result. One has only to look at a semi to see what torque can do. 80,000 LBS and around 10 mpg.
Don't push it so hard. Like d13 says. Also take into account the terain. Hills, even little ones will kill ya. Is the TCC working correctly? If the CE light doesen't come on the engine is working correctly as are all the related systems. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote