View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
Steve78LT

Son's first project

For his 14th birthday, my son asked if I'd drive him around to knock on people's doors and ask is they'd sell him a C-10. I asked if he's seen a truck somewhere, and he said yes. He went ans grabbed his laptop, went to Google Earth, flew over to the next town, zoomed in on a house and then went to Street View, moved down the street, turned sideways and said "there - see that taillight in the woods behind his house? That's a second gen C-10 just sitting there. I bet he'd sell it to me".

Well we didn't end up knocking on the door of that guy, but we did end up buying a '72, running and driving but all blown apart, with about $1,500 of new catalog parts most in the boxes still, for $2,200 of his own personal life's savings. It came as a 1/2 ton fleetside with a straight six and automatic transmission. This'll be his daily driver for High School - he's got a learner's permit now, and a driver's license hopefully soon.

So far he's stripped off everything but the cab and sandblasted/degreased/painted the frame. The interior is out. The motor is in the dump and a V-8 is going in. Added a brake booster, bent all new lines, new hoses, calipers, rotors, pads, drums and shoes. New body mounts and shocks. Sooooo much more to do though...

Me personally, I'm on my third Camaro ('74,'79, '78), my second streetrod ('36 Ford, '40 Ford) and my second Hemi daily driver ('05 Magnum, '13 300C). I know a fair bit about cars, but nothing about these trucks, so I hope I can get some friendly advice here.
Steve78LT is offline   Reply With Quote