View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #1282
VWNate1

Post Re : V-8 Oiling Woes

O.K. ;

It's been a while since I did and SBC works but I remember there was a plastic clip connecting the oil pump to the distributor drive that often failed , allowing the oil pump to stop wile the dist. kept turning so unless you noticed the light/gauge , you simply drove the engine to death .

Also , used engines often have sludge clogged oil pickup screens , this is why I always flip 'em and yank the oil pan for cleaning and a looksee , then re seal the nearly always leaking rear main and timing cover seals .

Bummer you lo$t out but , there's plenty of good ones out there , keep working at it .

Luckily , The Chevrolet Division knew they were building the Common Man's cars so they designed the SBC V-8's & L6's to be simple and robust , easy to fix even if you're unskilled and only have minimal tools ~ remember those basic facts and you'll never go wrong with a Chevy . part of why for many years it's been the most popular car in the world .

FWIW ; 283's are not slow / underpowered when it proper tune ! maybe not tire shredding burnout beasts but what use is a truck you don't want to or cannot afford to drive daily ? .

Hell , I even like the original 265 CID V-8 but then , I tend to work my stuff really hard and don't accept less than 150,000 miles as normal service life so to me , build it right (low compression , balance everything) then you can hammer it like a red haired step child while the other guys are fixing theirs yet again .

-Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopped up View Post
Driving to work started to smell something (kinda burning oil) smell. Looked at my oil gauge and it was at zero. Very loud clanking and BOOM!! This all happened in a few seconds . Had enough time to get over to the shoulder and put it in nuetral and coast off the fwy. Then push it 2 blocks to get it off the major street I was on. So I assume it's my pump ,don't know what else could be the blame. It was a cl motor I picked up cheap so I knew it was a gamble to start with
Posted via Mobile Device