View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
hotsam

Re: Just A few plans for my 72' swb 4x4

Hey guys ! It's been a little while and I've been procrastinating on my engine swap... But fate has presented me with no choice now so here it goes. Last Sunday morning I was heading home and it started a ticking ,then a miss, then popping through the intake and carb. I figured cam failure. I felt the exhaust manifolds when I got home and singled out the cylinder culprit. I pulled the valve cover and found a broken rocker arm was the problem. Easy fix right... I zipped a new rocker on adjusted and engine runs like a sewing machine again. After firing was when I realized why the failure took place. I have no oil at the rockers they are dry as powder. The engine holds great oil pressure and the lifters are primed and not collapsed no chattering no noise. I'm going for a long shot and assuming push rod tubes may be blocked from nasty years of crummy oil and lack of normal p/m. After the engine runs for a while a couple do drip some oil. I thought about investigating farther but I'm just gonna swap now before I have total destruction of my little engine. It still sounds and runs great so time for a freshen up and I'll use it in one of my other toys one day. I'll post progress pics as I go. Time for Operation Big Block 4 spd. Swap
hotsam is offline   Reply With Quote