View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
sgaylord
Project collector

Re: Project "Jezabel"

Now for the Jezebel part.

I decided to replace the doors due to rust in the bottoms. Thinking that was the only major rust on the truck..,, At the same time I was going to update the A/C to Vintage Air and smooth the firewall.

I removed the hood and fenders and found this.

Digging further I found all sorts of interesting stuff. Apparently someone in this trucks prior life decided it was ok to put roofing tar over the rust in the cowl. Then they placed aluminum foil over that and painted it. Not till I started investigating what these "clumps" were did I find this mess and what it was covering up.

I went further to remove the doors, seat, and carpet. I have some interesting pictures of that as well. Apparently this person was quite creative. There was roofing shingles used as sound deadner in the cab. Lovely stuff to remove after to adheared to the floor pans.

Seeing what she was when I first got her and comparing that to what I actually found under the skin. The name "Jezebel" seemed to be very fitting considering how deceiving it was. I learned something very valuable. No matter how good it looks, dig a little deeper. There is almost always something hiding underneath.

So needless to say this is an all out restoration. I will update as often as I can and if someone sees me making a big mistake, please chime in.

I know it would be easier to replace the cab. This may sound weird, but I kinda want to try my hand at restoring this one. I want to add this skill to my mental tool box so to speak.
Attached Images

2020 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax
2016 Harley Street Glide CVO

Roll Tide!

Last edited by sgaylord; 12-21-2009 at 11:01 AM.
sgaylord is offline   Reply With Quote