View Single Post
Old 12-01-2003, 01:29 PM   #26
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

I don't think any vehicle is disqualified. I can see a 'burb lookin' pretty damn trick in Rat Rod fashion. That being said, I'm going to offer up a definition of "Rat Rod" that we can argue about...

To me, the Rat Rod is typified by the lack of high-dollar chrome and billet aluminum stuff. Often left in primer or various other states of unfinished paint, they are mechanically sound in the true "go fast first and make it pretty later" style. Contrary to what the owners of the $100k magazine queens (not that there's anything wrong with that ) might think, they are not unsafe death-traps (that would just be a junker).

Some people say that a true Rat Rod uses vintage speed parts and is limited to pre-60's cars. I say, "BAH!" Any vehicle can be a Rat Rod, but you'll score extra points for using period speed parts and accessories. You don't have to use old school stuff, but doing so is ultimately very cool.

Others claim that vehicles pass through the Rat Rod stage on the way to greatness. I disagree! As far as I'm concerned, a genuine Rat Rodder considers the style a destination and not a milestone. That's one of the great things about a Rat Rod! You can always make it pretty once you're done racing the hell out of it!
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote